IIT Mandi Catalyst
Founded in 2009, IIT Mandi is one among the new IITs. IIT Mandi is the only IIT located in the foothills of the Himalayas. It has established itself in its main campus at Kamand as a world-class technology institution.
Created by an act of the Indian Parliament, IIT Mandi has a vision “to be a leader in science and technology education, knowledge creation and innovation in an India marching towards a just, inclusive and sustainable society.” Being a part of the IIT System, IIT Mandi is able to attract high quality students and faculty. This is the core strength for IIT Mandi.
IIT Mandi recognizes the need of a TBI in order to tap and promote innovation and entrepreneurship at its campus. As a formal recognition of this, IIT Mandi has an entrepreneurship policy in place which has been approved by the Board of Governors of IIT Mandi with the aim bolstering innovation and entrepreneurship among the IIT Mandi students and faculty. The B.Tech. curriculum at IIT Mandi has the goal of training students to become design engineers capable of conceiving, designing, and deploying innovative and cost-effective products and processes for widespread use in society.
- 1. A course in reverse engineering - At the first year of the B.tech Program An Intra-College tech fest a IIT Mandi ‘Aavishkar’ is a prototyping contest for first year students. Teams of students work extensively on solution oriented hardware prototypes and present them in an open house.
- 2. A design practicum – At the second year level, the students learn product design and development skills bringing about an integration of innovation and design into the learning process. Outcome of this program is in form of various working prototypes developed by student teams.
- 3. At the third year level an elective course to work on an Interactive Socio-Technical Project (ISTP). This program exposes students to complex interactions of technology and society. Every year, a group of students from Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), USA visits IIT Mandi and jointly carries out research on various socio-technical projects. As an outcome of this program, technical solutions to various local problems are developed and presented in an open house. See more: http://www.iitmandi.ac.in/istp/
- 4. A capstone of the fourth year B.Tech program is Major Technical Program (MTP). This is expected to have a major technical contribution in the student’s discipline and is intended to display a high degree of technical knowledge, innovativeness and maturity. The outcome is intended to be an innovative product or technology that addresses a problem of society.
- 5. An elective workshop course on Entrepreneurship that trains students on various aspects of entrepreneurship ranging from idea generation to commercialization. As an outcome of this program, student teams identify potential business ideas and present business plans in an open house.
- 6. Entrepreneurship Cell The Entrepreneurship Cell (E-Cell) at IIT Mandi aims to promote entrepreneurship among students of IIT Mandi through continuous student engagement in activities that include interactive sessions with innovators and entrepreneurs, experts from industry, organizing competitions and training sessions, and mentoring business ideas. Run as a student body, E-Cell is also mentored by Faculty Advisors.
- 7. Design and Innovation Centre DIC is equipped to support the prototype and product development endeavors. Facilities like 3D printer, PCB fabrication unit, magnetic stirrers, Elvis System Development board and other development and test facilities are available at the centre.